Thursday, December 19, 2013

Taylor the Human


“There's work, and there's life, and there's no balance.”
-Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook COO, from her book “Lean In

I realized this week why some people don’t like talking about politics over dinner. I was sitting at the dinner table with mind and mouth moving fast giving a “report” to my husband on legislation we’re pushing and listening to his opinions, and, at a pause, I suddenly realized I really did not want to talk about politics any more. -- and I LOVE politics. But I suddenly realized that I was still mentally at work even though I was physically sitting beside my husband at home. A flip switched and I suddenly wanted to talk about ANYTHING else.

I’m in the middle of a book by Sheryl Sandberg called “Lean In.” My first impression of this book was that it was a book for liberal women. However, when Mia Love suggested at a Republican Women’s lunch that all women read it, I immediately put it on my reservations list at the library (I’m still waiting for I am Malala). The book is fabulous.  At one point, Ms. Sandberg refutes the idea of a “work-life balance,” arguing that work is part of life. If you try to balance the two, what sane person would choose work over life? When you recognize that work is a part of your overall life, it is easier to integrate.

I totally get this. Trying to keep the two perfectly separate, you’re constantly wondering if you are cheating your family and yourself or if you’re cheating your employer.  But when you recognize that work is a part of your life along with several other important parts, it is easier to see a complete whole.

After that flip switched and I thought about it more later on, I realized that to be successful as Taylor the Politician, I don’t have to always be Taylor the Politician. That’s just one of my roles I circulate through. I am Taylor the Human. And Taylor the Human is made of:

·         Taylor the Wife
·         Taylor the Sister & Daughter
·         Taylor the Friend
·         Taylor the Politician
·         Taylor the Latter-day Saint
·         Taylor the Coworker
·         Taylor the Woman
·         Taylor the Teacher
·         Taylor the Temple Worker
·         Taylor the Reader
·         Taylor the Cook
·         Taylor the Runner
·         Taylor the BYU Alum

-- And I enjoy each of these roles immensely. They make me who I am. They make Taylor the Human.

No comments:

Post a Comment